The Tower of Marcellus is an impressive monument, located in the city of Aegina. It is a medieval tower and its construction dates back to the late 17th century and was probably part of a fortification or was built as a refuge for protectionist reasons. It consists of three floors with an exterior staircase, turrets and balconies.
In 1802 it was completely renovated by the fighter and congressman Spiridon Markello to whom it owes its name. During the revolution of 1821 and after, the tower housed fighters and prominent political personalities of the era, the Administrative Commission (1826) and was the seat of the Antigovernment Commission (1826-1828). During the period that Kapodistrias governed Greece, the Tower continued to host great personalities like ministers of the free Greek State.
Today the monument impresses with its imposing appearance and houses the Kapodistrian Cultural Center of the Municipality and the center of social concern "Spiros Alexiou." The ground floor of the tower hosts art events and exhibitions.
The Tower of Marcellus was declared a historical monument in 1980 and a protection zone of 10 meters around the Tower, to effectively protect the building from any kind of interventions.